Saturday, May 9, 2009

An Emotional Saturday....




I woke & hurried out of the door to vote in the local city council election. My precinct is only 3 blocks away, but I was heading to Target afterward so I decided to drive instead. After scanning the entire store & leaving empty handed, I returned home & crawled across the bed to watch TV. I ended up dropping off to sleep when my cell phone rang, but the call was into voicemail by the time I located it. It was Gwen telling me that they were rushing her mother to the emergency room. I could hardly make sense of the voicemail, so I called to talk directly to her. Gwen's uncle had gone due east of Dallas to pick her up to go further to see their mother for the weekend, but when he arrived he found her dazed & confused.

She moved out of Dallas to a little place about a hundred miles to the country, but she doesn't drive. We tried to talk her out of being so far away, but she had determination to do so. He was taking her to the emergency room to have her evaluated & Gwen and I were on standby to see if we needed to hit the highway. Her mother is like my mother too, but we are great friends as grown women. Even though she has begged me to call her by her first name, I just have too much respect NOT to put "Miss" before Roxie. It didn't take them long to find out that her blood pressure & cholesterol were elevated because she hadn't been taking her medicine like she should.

Thank God that it wasn't a stroke like we suspected because her speech had slurred. But if you know anyone who blood pressures goes off the map, that is one sign of a problem. She had medicine administered & released, but she is coming back this way to spend the week at Gwen's. We were suppose to go to Tejano's today, but we put that off until this matter gets situated. I called to chat with my sister & her grand baby was visiting, so I told her I would come over to see her. I arrived just in time to get a kiss because they had a barrage of things to do. It was so nice to see our precious little pumpkin & we just can't get enough of her.

I stopped by the fish market & they had so many people in line for the crawfish. All I wanted was some catfish, but I could barely get inside the door. I suppose everyone is doing seafood & BBQ for Mother's day, but I know those people made some serious money just from what I observed. The rest of the afternoon was spent in total bliss of having nothing pressing & enjoying some time alone. Somebody tell me why Justin Timberlake is so crazy ? I could just follow him around all day long & laugh at his craziness. He hosted Saturday Night Live & he clowned the entire show.

Be good,

T.

No comments: