Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Wednesday's Road Through Hades.....




It was a beautiful day with low humidity, but the tide changed as the day progressed forward. As I entered the workplace, the wind was peaceful & still. As I exited the building, the wind was blowing warm & extremely humid. The weather forecast indicated that a strong line of storms was headed across a great portion of Texas, but nobody could have imagined what was about to take place.

I chilled at the house for awhile before I headed over to my mechanic because he wanted to do something with the vehicle that I'm driving while mine is being repaired. I was chatting with him about various things as I watched the rolling clouds that encased the approaching storm...and what I saw wasn't pretty. As I left him, I decided to see if I could pick up a catfish po' boy before heading home. I placed my order & watched the wind go from about 5 mph to 70 mph in ZERO seconds. Upon leaving some large raindrops began to fall, but I was fortunate to make it home as the hard rain began to fall. Unfortunately I had to sit in the car for about 30 minutes before I could get out because it was just that bad.

I've seen storms & I have survived storms, but this storm is one that will be in mind for a real long time. I lost power briefly & I sat at the dining room table to eat my dinner by flashlight. Thank goodness the temperatures dropped where I could open some windows for air because I didn't want to turn on the air conditioner. I'm just not the person that will run anything electrical in a storm no matter what. I laid across the bed tracked the weather on my Blackberry, but I can only squint at all that for so long. Eventually the storm eased off & I turned on the TV for an update on everything. I started to boot up the laptop until I heard the return of rumbling thunder, so I refrained. The thought of the old Chiffon margarine came to mind when she said "It's not nice to fool Mother Nature"....then all heck broke loose !



Lord, help us....

T.

No comments: